Sunday, September 22, 2019

Rest in peace, dear sweet Katie

Katie, the Labradoodle service dog of Debb Johnson who was diagnosed with polio as a toddler, passed away suddenly in the early morning hours of Tuesday, September 17, 2019 of complications from seizures.  She was 4 ½ years old (that’s 27 in “dog years”).  

Katie was an active member of the B7 Ward, regularly attending – though usually sleeping thru – Sacrament meeting, Relief Society and / or Sunday School.  She was a favorite of ward members young and old who loved to stroke her velvety ginger-colored fur coat or scratch her silky soft ears.

Sister Debb remembers, “Some things people do in their daily lives without even thinking can be difficult or impossible for someone in a wheelchair. It makes me smile to remember how Katie would hear me drop something and come running to pick it up for me.  I didn’t even have to ask.  Katie was also a life saver when it was time to get ready for bed. She pulled off my shoes and socks every night. And, imagine how hard it is trying to pull the door closed while backing my wheelchair out of the way. I could just say, 'Katie, get the door,' and she’d shut it for me.  She was my wingman, my buddy, and best of all she loved to show and receive affection. How did Katie change my life?  She put joy and independence into my days. I loved her dearly and she loved me back."

According to the Americans with Disabilities Act, "service dogs are defined as canines of various breeds individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities." A service dog is not considered a pet but is specially trained to assist the handler with something directly related to his or her disability.

Katie will be missed by her many friends in the ward and certainly by her most important person Sister Debb. While Katie can never be replaced, Sister Debb is hoping one day she will be able to introduce another 4-legged family member to her neighbors and ward friends. 

Rest in peace, dear sweet Katie.

No comments:

Post a Comment