Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Meet Laurie Hafen

Laurie Hafen recently moved from Las Vegas to Bloomington where she lives with and cares for her 92-year-old father Banard Hafen while also working as a court reporter.  Of her years taking depositions in attorney offices in California, Nevada and Utah, she notes,  “It has been a wonderful career where I have learned something new every day . . . mostly things NOT to do.” 

Sister Hafen’s roots run deep in Dixie.  “My father is a Hafen and my mother was a Holt from Enterprise.  It doesn’t get more ‘Southern Utah’ than that,” she laughs. 

As a lifelong member of the Church she has had numerous callings including Primary teacher and counselor, nursery teacher, family history consultant, a counselor in the Young Women’s program, and in her stake in Las Vegas, she was dubbed “indexing queen” because she LOVES indexing!

Her busy life - including rearing two daughters and three sons, who have produced 9 beautiful grandchildren – has left her little time to develop any regular hobbies, “though I’ve tried my hand at quilting, crocheting and family history.”

“I very much appreciate how welcoming the members of the Bloomington 7th Ward have been to me. I didn't know anyone here, except my dad, and now I have some wonderful sisters I can call my friends!!!”  states Sister Hafen.

For all she has done in life, Laurie says, of the two of them, her dad has had the more interesting life.  A graduate from Dixie High School where he was an All Star in both basketball and football, he went on to play football at the University of Utah until he was called into the service of his country during WWII.  After the war he finished his degree then played pro-football for the Detroit Lions (1947-49) but decided he needed a more stable job to support his growing family, so applied for a position as an FBI agent.  In 1967, with a young family and a desire to be closer to his southern Utah home, he was finally transferred from St. Louis, MO to Las Vegas.  In 1975 he left the FBI after 25 years to begin a new career as head of security for Howard Hughes.  He has lived in Bloomington since his retirement in 1982.

No comments:

Post a Comment